Application instructions :
Land of Lincoln Legal Aid seeks a part time staff attorney at its Legal Advice and Referral Center (LARC) hotline.
Land of Lincoln Legal Aid provides free civil legal services to low-income individuals in 65 counties in Illinois. We are committed to working for justice with those whose voices might otherwise not be heard; to empower individuals to advocate for themselves; and to make positive changes in the communities we serve. Our attorneys provide holistic legal advocacy in partnership with community organizations, social service agencies, and faith-based groups.
The LARC hotline is designed to provide high quality, prompt information, legal advice, and brief services, in addition to referrals to the regional offices. The staff attorney in this position will screen callers and conduct phone interviews in a wide range of substantive areas of law, including housing, consumer, family, and public benefits. The attorney will provide advice to eligible callers. In some instances, the staff attorney may conduct brief services in the areas of consumer law and sealing and expungement of criminal records.
• Screen callers for income eligibility, conflicts of interest, etc.
• Interview callers, identify legal issues and provide appropriate advice
• Provide customer service that is culturally competent and empathetic
• Other duties as assigned
• Licensed to practice law in Illinois or has requisite credentials for reciprocity.
• At least 3 years+ experience, preferably in legal aid
• Strong commitment to social and racial justice
• Attention to detail
• Excellent verbal, analytical, writing, and organization skills
• Ability to handle a fast-paced work environment
• Highly motivated and demonstrated ability to work independently or as well as part of a team
• Computer proficiency required
Special Working Conditions and Demands:
• Applicants must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and car insurance.
• Applicants must have reliable broadband internet at home, capable of supporting videoconferencing is
• Position is primarily office-based
$31.00 + per hour with license (depending on experience).
Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to the following Managing Attorney: Michele Davis, email@example.com
Land of Lincoln is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, LBGTQIA+, and gender non-conforming applicants.