Application instructions :
Passionate about advocating for survivors of domestic violence? Dedicated to helping low-income individuals with a range of civil legal issues? Eager to serve in central Illinois? Join Land of Lincoln Legal Aid and make a long-term impact!
Want to make a difference with your law degree? The Eastern Regional office of Land of Lincoln Legal Aid seeks a motivated attorney to work in our Decatur office to primarily serve Macon County. This staff attorney position is an opportunity to work directly with low-income individuals and seniors, as well as
collaborate with community partners, to address civil legal needs. This individual’s work will be advocating for survivors of domestic violence, primarily in orders of protection and other family law cases.
Land of Lincoln Legal Aid provides free civil legal services to low-income individuals in 65 counties in Illinois. We are committed to working for justice with those whose voices might otherwise not be heard; to assist individuals in advocating for themselves; and to make positive changes in collaboration with the
communities we serve. Our attorneys provide holistic legal advocacy in partnership with community organizations, social service agencies, and faith-based groups.
• Handle all elements of litigation including client interviewing, investigation, discovery, pleadings, briefs, and representation at hearings at trial level and appellate levels if appropriate
• Actively participate in outreach and education
• Build and maintain relationships with community organizations
• Other duties as assigned
• Licensed to practice law in Illinois or has requisite credentials for reciprocity
• Previous legal and nonprofit experience preferred
• Strong commitment to social and racial justice
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships and work with people of diverse social, economic, and racial/ethnic backgrounds
• Excellent verbal, analytical, writing and organization skills
• Highly motivated and demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team
Special Working Conditions and Demands:
• Applicants must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and car insurance.
$75,000+ with license (depending on experience). Excellent insurance and retirement benefits.
Land of Lincoln is an eligible 501(c)(3) employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
Land of Lincoln is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, LBGTQIA+ gender non-conforming applicants.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Susan Zielke, Managing Attorney Eastern Regional Office at firstname.lastname@example.org