Application instructions :
Are you passionate about justice and holistic legal advocacy? Join Land of Lincoln Legal Aid and make a long-term impact!
Land of Lincoln Legal Aid seeks a staff attorney to assist with housing, public benefits, and other areas of law at our Northern Regional Office in Springfield, IL. Land of Lincoln Legal Aid provides free civil legal services to low-income individuals in 65 counties in Illinois. We are committed to seeking justice for those whose voices might otherwise not be heard; to empower individuals to advocate for themselves; and to make positive changes in the communities we serve. Our attorneys provide holistic legal advocacy in partnership with community organizations, social service agencies, and faith-based groups.
The staff attorney in this position will provide zealous representation for domestic violence survivors, renters, those seeking to obtain and maintain public benefits, and in other areas of law. The attorney will work with other attorneys, the courts, and other community partners and perform outreach.
• All elements of litigation including client interviewing, investigation, discovery, pleadings, briefs, and representation at hearings at trial level and appellate levels if appropriate
• Actively participate in community outreach and education
• Building relationships with community partners
• Ability to supervise law students, paralegals, support staff, volunteers and/or projects
• Compliance with organizational rules, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned
• Licensed to practice law in Illinois or has requisite credentials for reciprocity
• litigation experience (3-5 years + preferred); previous legal aid a plus
• Strong commitment to social and racial justice
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships and work with people of diverse social, economic, and racial/ethnic backgrounds
• Attention to detail
• Excellent verbal, analytical, writing, and organization skills
• Highly motivated and demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Computer proficiency required
Special Working Conditions and Demands:
• Applicants must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and car insurance
• Applicants must have reliable home internet capable of supporting video conferencing
$75,000 + with license (depending on experience). Eligible for location-based compensation adjustment.
Excellent insurance and retirement benefits; excellent leave benefits. Land of Lincoln is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit and is an eligible employer for the public service loan forgiveness program.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to the Managing Attorney, Melinda Hubele c/o: firstname.lastname@example.org
Land of Lincoln is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, LBGTQIA+, and gender non-conforming applicants.