Application instructions :
Land of Lincoln Legal Aid seeks a staff attorney to assist clients in a variety of areas of law including family, education, and advance directives, in our Western Regional Office (Alton, IL). Land of Lincoln Legal Aid provides free civil legal services to low income individuals in 65 counties in Illinois. We are committed to seeking justice for those whose voices might otherwise not be heard; to empower individuals to advocate for themselves; and to make positive changes in the communities we serve. Our attorneys provide holistic legal advocacy in partnership with community organizations, social service agencies, and faith-based groups.
The staff attorney in this position will handle a variety of areas of law. The attorney will provide zealous representation for domestic violence survivors who seek orders of protection, divorce, or custody/parental responsibility orders. The attorney will also assist children and their families who encounter legal issues within the educational context including but not limited to, obtaining IEPs and maintaining services and representation in suspension and expulsion cases. The attorney will work with other attorneys, the courts, and coalitions, perform outreach and education, and develop impact advocacy strategies.
• All elements of litigation including client interviewing, investigation, discovery, pleadings, briefs, and representation at hearings at administrative, trial, and appellate levels
• Actively participate in community outreach and education
• Building relationships with community partners
• Other duties as assigned
• Licensed to practice law in Illinois or has requisite credentials for reciprocity
• Previous legal experience, preferably in legal aid, a plus
• Strong commitment to social and racial justice
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships and work with people of diverse social, economic, and racial/ethnic backgrounds
• Attention to detail
• Excellent verbal, analytical, writing, and organization skills
• Ability to supervise law students, support staff, and volunteers
• Highly motivated and demonstrated ability to work independently or as well as part of a team
Special Working Conditions and Demands:
• Applicants must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and car insurance
$75,000 + with license (depending on experience). Excellent insurance and retirement benefits. Land of Lincoln is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and is an eligible employer for the public service loan forgiveness program.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to the following Managing Attorney: Chelsea Hubbard, c/o Debbie Bowermaster email@example.com
Land of Lincoln is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, LBGTQIA+, and gender non-conforming applicants.