Application instructions :
Passionate about helping victims of domestic violence with their civil legal problems? Eager to serve in rural central Illinois?
Join Land of Lincoln Legal Aid and make a long-term impact!
Want to make a difference with your law degree? Land of Lincoln Legal Aid seeks a motivated attorney to work in our Charleston office to primarily serve Clark, Coles, Cumberland, Edgar, Crawford, Effingham, and Jasper Counties. This staff attorney position is an opportunity to work directly with clients, as well as collaborate with community partners, to address civil legal needs faced by domestic violence survivors.
Land of Lincoln Legal Aid provides free civil legal services to low-income individuals in 65 counties in Illinois. We are committed to working for justice with those whose voices might otherwise not be heard; to assist individuals in advocating for themselves; and to make positive changes in collaboration with the communities we serve. Our attorneys provide holistic legal advocacy in partnership with community organizations, social service agencies, and faith-based
The staff attorney will provide zealous representation primarily in family law cases, including orders of protection, no contact orders, divorces, and parenting allocation cases. The staff attorney will establish and maintain relationships with community partners serving the victims of domestic violence survivors, primarily HOPE of East Central Illinois and SWAN, as well as perform educational outreach and trainings to community partners.
• Actively participate in outreach and education
• Build and maintain relationships with domestic violence partner agencies
• Handle all elements of litigation including client interviewing, investigation, discovery, pleadings, briefs, and representation at hearings at trial level and appellate levels if appropriate
• Supervise secretaries, law students, and other staff
• Other duties as assigned
• Licensed to practice law in Illinois or has requisite credentials for reciprocity
• Previous legal and nonprofit experience preferred
• Strong commitment to social and racial justice
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships and work with people of diverse social, economic, and racial/ethnic backgrounds
• Ability to communicate with diverse audiences
• Excellent verbal, analytical, writing and organization skills
• Highly motivated and demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team
Special Working Conditions and Demands:
• Applicants must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and car insurance.
$75,000+ with license (depending on experience). Excellent insurance and retirement benefits.
Land of Lincoln is a 501(c)(3) non-profit and is an eligible employer for the federal public
service loan forgiveness program.
Land of Lincoln is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from
people of color, persons with disabilities, women, LBGTQIA+ gender non-conforming
Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Susan Zielke, Managing Attorney Eastern Region at firstname.lastname@example.org