Depends on experience – Starting Salary start at $35,000
Application instructions :
Every day, people across Illinois are denied the basic rights to which they are entitled under the law simply because they can’t afford a lawyer. It’s our mission to change that.
Prairie State Legal Services, Inc. is seeking a Paralegal to join our team in the West Suburban office. Paralegals at PSLS provide a wide range of support to attorneys that enable them to serve some of the most vulnerable members of our communities, including low-income individuals, older adults, veterans, and people with disabilities. We focus services on legal problems that impact the ability of our clients to meet their basic human needs, including physical safety, access to healthcare, adequate housing, and financial stability. Prairie State is the only legal aid organization in the majority of our area, and we pride ourselves on providing high-quality legal services to our clients while fostering a work environment that is motivating, collaborative, and rewarding, with plenty of opportunities for professional growth.
Among other duties as assigned, the Paralegal will:
• Open files for clients as requested by attorney
• Complete eligibility intakes for applicants and assigns them to local offices or program attorneys for interviews
• Maintain contact with clients to provide information on the status of their cases
• Prepare pleadings and correspondence for the Project Attorneys
• Prepare correspondence and documents for direct services to clients
• Monitor case files to see that they contain all required documents
• Generate and mail notices for court proceedings and schedule matters on the court docket
• Track referrals to and from other agencies
• Help prepare grant report materials
• Assist the Program Coordinator and Project Attorneys in other duties as assigned
Salary and Benefits
The Paralegal position is a full-time position at 37.5 hours per week. PSLS offers a salary competitive with similar organizations. Our Paralegal salary scale starts at $35,000 per year for candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and increases with each year of relevant experience. PSLS is committed to providing an excellent, comprehensive benefits package to its full-time employees that includes:
• Health insurance, including the opportunity to qualify for a wellness credit
• Dental insurance
• Vision insurance
• 403b retirement plan, including employer contributions
• Extensive training and education program
• PTO that starts at nearly 3 weeks/year and increases with additional years worked at PSLS
• Paid sick leave
• 6 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
• 12 paid holidays
• 2-year associates degree, 4-year bachelor’s degree, and/or a paralegal certificate
• Previous legal experience preferred
• Excellent organizational and oral/written communication skills
• Proficient with computers and online tools
• Travel to other offices is necessary; valid driver’s license and/or reliable transportation is required
• We will give preference to candidates who have experience providing services to low-income individuals
Please indicate “Paralegal-West Suburban” in the subject line and email a letter explaining your interest and experience, resume, and three references to email@example.com.
Resumes accepted until position is filled
Prairie State Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, pay, and promote qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, expression, or presentation, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.
PSLS is a not-for-profit civil legal aid organization that has served northern and central Illinois for 45 years, maintains 11 office locations, and has a staff of nearly 200 employees, including training and litigation staff with extensive experience. Our 36-county service area includes rural communities, suburban areas, and mid-size urban cities, which necessitates the development of diverse strategies, and we encourage our staff to cultivate and utilize creative approaches to reach and serve our client population. Employees of PSLS benefit from the expertise and community connections of their local office staff, along with robust program-wide resources. We strive to provide an array of services responsive to the needs of our clients. PSLS has excellent fiscal controls and upholds the highest rating from Charity Navigator and Guidestar. For more information regarding PSLS services and operations, please visit our website at https://pslegal.org.